Tuesday 2 October 2012

Revisiting Narnia

'Reading Rowan Williams on CS Lewis is like watching two old friends in animated discussion of great, powerful themes.' says Tom Wright. 'But what really counts is that, as with the two on the Emmaus road, we constantly sense a third presence, that of the Lion who will not let us rest in our own little self-deceits but who constantly challenges us to discover the larger joys of his new creation.'
I didn't really need this commendation to get me to read this book- I was already opening the pages eagerly. I thought I knew the stories; I've read them many times and given away so many copies to others, yet reading Williams made me realise how much I had missed. It is so easy to hear or read and think you have really listened and understood. We hear Scripture stories we think we have heard it all before and continue on our ways without realising we have missed something important that God is showing us. In the same way I can see a great painting or an Ikon like the famous Rublev picture of Abraham's three visitors and appreciate it quite superficially--. It is only when one comes along who has studied and meditated deeply that I begin to appreciate what I have missed.
So it is in this book as Williams  opens up not only the Lion's world but also that of C S Lewis. I shall read now with much deeper attention and find myself humbled and challenged on my pilgrimage.
I loved Monica Capoferri's illustrations too.

No comments: